Fall Recipes: Chicken and Dumplings, Carrot-Apple-Spinach Salad, Skillet Pears
Take off the autumn chill with a warm bowl of chicken and dumplings. Pair with a garden-fresh, apple- and carrot-topped spinach salad for a bushel of fall flavors.
By Scott Jones | Photos By Jason Wallis
WEB EXCLUSIVE: Skillet Pears With Honey and Cranberries
The pears are also terrific over waffles or pancakes.
2 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 Bartlett pears, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 Tablespoons butter
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1. Stir together butter and next 5 ingredients in a medium skillet, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pears and cranberries; reduce heat to medium (mixture should be bubbling), and cook, stirring often, 7 minutes or until pears are tender and liquid begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Let cool 10 minutes.
2. Divide ice cream among 4 to 6 bowls. Top with pear mixture. Serve immediately.
Prep: 15 min. Cook: 10 min. Cool: 10 min. Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Creamy Chicken and Dumplings
2 (48-ounce) containers low-sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
1 (16.3-ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1. Bring chicken broth, chicken breasts and seasoning to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken; reserve broth.
2. Cool chicken 10 minutes; shred chicken. Skim fat from broth.
3. Add chicken, onion, carrots, celery and cream of chicken soup to Dutch oven. Return to a boil.
4. Pat each biscuit to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
5. Drop strips, one at a time, into broth mixture. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.
Prep: 15 min. Cool: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. Yield: 6 servings
2 carrots, peeled
1 large sweet red apple, cored and chopped
1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
2 Tablespoons walnuts, chopped
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1. Cut the carrots into ribbons using a vegetable peeler down the length of the carrot.
2. Combine carrots, apple, spinach and walnuts in a large serving bowl.
3. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl; slowly add oil, whisking until combined.
4. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat.
Prep: 15 min. Yield: 6 servings