FarmLife Spring 2015 Recipes: Strawberry-Buttermilk Pudding, Baked Lemon-Herb Chicken Quarters, Roasted New Potato-Asparagus Salad
Jazz up chicken with this easy, flavor-packed herb rub. Pair with a hearty roasted new potato and asparagus salad for a fresh-from-the-garden taste of spring.
WEB EXCLUSIVE: Strawberry-Buttermilk Pudding
2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
3/4 cup sugar, divided
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 cup buttermilk
Garnish: whipped cream, mint sprig
- Process strawberries with lime juice and 2 Tablespoons sugar in a blender or food processor 1 minute or until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- Combine cream and vanilla extract in a small saucepan; sprinkle gelatin over cream, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Cook cream mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until gelatin is dissolved. Increase heat to medium; add remaining sugar, and stir until sugar is dissolved (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Whisk in strawberry puree and buttermilk. Let mixture cool to room temperature.
- Divide mixture among 8 (10-oz.) glasses. Cover and chill 6 hours to 2 days. Garnish, if desired.
Prep: 15 min. Stand: 10 min. Chill: 6 hr. Yield: 8 servings
Baked Lemon-Herb Chicken Quarters
2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 chicken leg quarters
- Stir together lemon rind, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Press fingers between skin and flesh of chicken; spread mixture evenly under skin over quarters. Cover or seal, and let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place chicken on a rack in a broiler pan. Bake 40 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil. Broil chicken 3 to 5 minutes or until skin is crisp.
Prep: 15 min. Stand: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. Broil: 5 min. Yield: 6 servings
Roasted New Potato-Asparagus Salad
1 pound fresh asparagus
1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
3 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup bottled olive oil-and-vinegar dressing
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Fresh arugula or mixed salad greens
1/3 cup crumbled farmer’s cheese or feta cheese
Garnish: lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Toss asparagus, red potatoes and garlic with Italian seasoning blend and olive oil in a large bowl; place in a single layer in a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Sprinkle with 11/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
- Bake at 400°F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until potatoes are browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, whisk together dressing and next 3 ingredients. Place vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle with desired amount of dressing; toss gently to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled over arugula with any remaining dressing. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish, if desired.
Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. Yield: 6 servings