Winter Recipes: Chicken Cacciatore, Garlic-Oregano Broccoli, Pecan Tassies
This hearty, one-dish classic is perfect for taking advantage of canned summer tomatoes. You can also easily substitute dove or duck breasts for chicken thighs. Pair with fresh broccoli for a comforting winter supper.
By Scott Jones | Photos By Jason Wallis
Pecan Tassies (Web Exclusive)
Substitute finely chopped walnuts for pecans, if desired.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat 1/2 cup butter and cream cheese with a mixer until blended. Add flour; mix until a soft dough forms.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls (making 24 total).
- Place dough balls into 2 lightly greased mini muffin pans; press each into a cup shape.
- Stir together melted butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until blended. Stir in pecans and, if desired, coconut.
- Spoon evenly into pastry cups, filling about 3/4 full (Do not overfill).
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and set.
- Cool in pan 3 minutes; remove from pan using tip of a paring knife, and cool on wire racks. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
PREP: 20 min. BAKE: 25 min. YIELD: 2 dozen
Skillet Chicken Cacciatore
1 (16-ounce) package penne pasta
3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs,
cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (25-ounce) jar pasta sauce
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, and keep warm. Meanwhile, heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat; lightly season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet, and cook 8 minutes or until chicken is done; remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon oil in skillet over medium heat; add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in pasta sauce, Italian seasoning, and chicken; cook 5 minutes or until heated through. Stir pasta into skillet or serve sauce over pasta.
PREP: 20 min. COOK: 21 min. YIELD: 6 servings
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
¼ cup water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add broccoli and 1/4 cup water.
- Cook, stirring often, until broccoli floret ends are browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in garlic and oregano; cook 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
PREP: 15 min. COOK: 14 min. YIELD: 6 servings