Winter Recipes: Dove and Chicken Sausage Pasta, Cranberry, Apple and Walnut Salad, Raspberry Cheesecake Fluff
This skillet pasta is perfect for taking advantage of canned tomatoes.
By Scott Jones | Photos By Jason Wallis
WEB EXCLUSIVE: Easy Raspberry Cheesecake Fluff
1 (32-ounce) carton vanilla yogurt
2 (3.4-ounce) packages cheesecake pudding mix
2 (6-ounce) packages fresh raspberries*
1 (8-ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Spoon vanilla yogurt into a large bowl. Add both packages of pudding mix, and whisk until completely smooth.
- Stir in raspberries; fold in whipped topping until completely blended.
- Spoon mixture into small cups or glasses. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
- Garnish with more raspberries and mint leaves, if desired.
*Substitute 1 (16-ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed, if desired.
PREP: 15 min. YIELD: 6 to 8 servings
Dove and Chicken Sausage Pasta In Tomato Cream
1 (16-ounce) package linguine
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 (12-ounce) package smoked chicken sausage, cut into ½-inch slices
1 medium onion, chopped
1½ pounds dove breasts (or chicken thighs or duck breasts), cut into bite-size pieces
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes or home-canned tomatoes (crushed)
1/2 cup heavy cream, divided
1 (5-ounce) package baby spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain, reserving ½ cup of cooking water for use in the sauce, if desired.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; cook 5 minutes or until sausage is browned.
- Remove mixture, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Sprinkle dove with Creole seasoning; add to skillet, and cook 4 minutes or until browned.
- Add broth; cook 2 minutes, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Stir in tomatoes and ¼ cup cream.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Gradually stir in spinach until wilted. Stir in sausage mixture, salt, ¼ cup cream, plus, if desired, 2 tablespoons or more of the reserved pasta water to get the consistency you want. Cook 1 minute.
- Toss with hot cooked pasta and serve.
Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Cranberry, Apple and Walnut Salad
2 (5-ounce) packages mixed salad greens
2 red apples, chopped
1/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon coarse-ground Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine salad greens, apples, cranberries and walnuts in a large serving bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl; slowly add oil, whisking until blended.
- Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat.
Prep: 15 min. Yield: 6 to 8 servings