Winter Recipes, Straight from the Land
Put the bounty of your next dove hunt to good use in this tasty, Tex-Mex twist on a classic pasta casserole. Pair with garden-fresh Quick-Stewed Kale for a hearty, comforting winter supper.
By Scott Jones | Photos By Jason Wallis
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1 (12-oz.) package fresh cranberries
6 pears, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups uncooked regular oats
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 375˚ F. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until cranberries pop and mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
2. Combine oats, flour and brown sugar; cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit mixture.
3. Bake at 375˚ F for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Prep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. Yield: 8 servings
Southwest Dove Breast-Pasta Bake
12 ounces linguine
1/2 cup butter
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium-size onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
2 cups four cheese Mexican blend
4 cups chopped cooked dove breast*
Garnish: fresh chopped cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
2. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; sauté bell pepper and next 5 ingredients 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring constantly 2 minutes.
3. Whisk in flour until smooth, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk and chicken broth; cook, whisking constantly, 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened. Add diced tomatoes and green chiles and 1 cup cheese. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until cheese melts.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in dove breast and hot cooked pasta. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
5. Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
*Substitute 4 cups chopped chicken or 1 rotisserie chicken for dove breast.
Prep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. Stand: 5 min. Yield: 6 servings
This recipe also works with other cooking greens like collard, mustard or turnip.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (1-lb) bag kale, chopped
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes or just until garlic browns.
3. Add kale, broth, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper and salt; cook, covered, 5 minutes or just until kale wilts. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes.
Prep: 10 min. Cook: 10 min. Yield: 6 servings