Fall Eats: Cider-Glazed Pork Chops, Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad, Pumpkin Pie Crescents
Take the chill off autumn with a skillet of pork chops smothered in sweet onions and crisp apples. Pair with a colorful, easy-to-make salad of Brussels sprouts and kale.
By Scott Jones | Photos By Jason Wallis
WEB EXCLUSIVE: Pumpkin Pie Crescents
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin-pie or apple-pie spice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 (8-ounce) package refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 375°F; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Stir together pumpkin puree, honey, pie spice and egg yolk in a bowl until well blended.
3. Unroll crescent roll dough and separate into triangles at perforations.
4. Spoon 1 Tablespoon pumpkin filling in center of each crescent.
5. Fold wide end of dough over filling; roll dough to the short end of triangle, and pinch edges together. Place on prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes.
7. Whisk together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over crescents, and serve warm.
PREP: 20 min. BAKE: 12 min. COOL: 5 min. YIELD: 8 servings
Cider-Glazed Pork Chops and Apples
- 6 (6-ounce) center-cut pork chops
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons butter, divided in three
- 3 Honeycrisp apples, cored and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 11/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper.
2. Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add half of the pork chops, and cook 3 minutes per side or until browned. Remove chops from skillet.
4. Repeat Step 3 with 1 Tablespoon butter and remaining pork chops. Remove chops from skillet and keep warm.
5. Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in skillet; add apples, onion and garlic.
6. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
7. Add cider, mustard and rosemary, scraping to loosen browned bits.
8. Return pork to pan, and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until liquid is thickened.
Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. Yield: 6 servings
Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Lacinato kale (also called Tuscan kale), thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Grate zest and squeeze juice from lemon.
2. Whisk together lemon juice, zest, oil, garlic salt and pepper to make dressing.
3. Combine Brussels sprouts, kale and pomegranate seeds in a large bowl.
4. Drizzle with dressing; toss.
5. Sprinkle with cheese.
Prep: 15 min. Yield: 6 servings