Spring Recipes: Venison Burgers, Smashed Potatoes, Toffee Haystacks
Barbecue sauce and a couple of pantry spices turn ho-hum burgers into something truly tasty. Pair with a side of chunky smashed new potatoes for an easy-to-make taste of spring the entire family will love.
By Scott Jones | Photos By Jason Wallis
WEB EXCLUSIVE: Toffee Haystacks
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups, plus 1 Tablespoon peanut butter, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups toasted rice cereal (or chocolate rice cereal; we used Rice Chex)
1 cup toffee bits
1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Combine corn syrup and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Once mixture comes to a boil, immediately remove from heat, and stir in 1 1/2 cups peanut butter and vanilla until blended.
- Place cereal in a large mixing bowl that’s been coated with cooking spray; pour peanut butter mixture over cereal. Stir until cereal is coated. Stir in toffee bits.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or spoon to drop cereal mixture of about 2 Tablespoons onto wax paper. Use hands to shape each mound into a haystack.
- Combine chocolate chips and 1 Tablespoon peanut butter in a microwavable bowl; microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle over haystacks. Refrigerate to harden. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Prep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. Chill: 2 hr. Yield: 8 servings
Barbecue Venison Burgers
1 (16-ounce) package ground venison
1 (16-ounce) package ground pork
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons barbecue sauce, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
6 sesame seed hamburger buns
Toppings: lettuce, tomato, red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350°F to 400°F).
- Stir together ground venison, ground pork, 2 Tablespoons barbecue sauce, garlic salt and onion powder.
- Shape mixture into 6 patties; place a quarter-size dimple in the middle of each patty.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, 5 to 6 minutes per side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Toast buns, cut sides facedown on grill, 1 minute.
- Spread remaining barbecue sauce over bottom buns; top with patties, lettuce, tomato and onion. Cover with bun tops.
Prep: 15 min. Grill: 12 min. Yield: 6 servings
Smashed Red New Potatoes
3 pounds red new potatoes, quartered
1 onion, chopped
3 Tablespoons salt, divided
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
Freshly ground black pepper
Crispy fried onions (we used French’s brand Crispy Fried Onions)
- In a large Dutch oven, combine potatoes, onion and 2 Tablespoons salt; add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- Add remaining salt, cream cheese, butter and a dash of pepper. Mash together. Top with onions.
Prep: 15 min. Cook: 12 min. Yield: 6 servings