Summer 2015 Recipes
Quick, pan-fried trout and garden-fresh creamed corn capture the best of summer, whether enjoying supper indoors or out. Plus: Lemon-Strawberry Swirl Pound Cake
By Scott Jones | Photos By Jason Wallis
WEB EXCLUSIVE: Lemon-Strawberry Swirl Pound Cake
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 (8-oz) container sour cream
2/3 cup strawberry glaze
1 cup diced fresh strawberries (can substitute blueberries or raspberries)
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears. Add lemon rind and juice, vanilla extract and almond extract, beating just until blended.
- Add flour to butter mixture, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Pour 1/3 of batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (14-cup) tube pan (about 2 2/3 cups batter). Dollop 8 rounded teaspoonfuls of strawberry glaze over batter, and swirl with wooden skewer. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup strawberries. Repeat procedure once, and top with remaining third of batter.
- Bake at 325˚ F for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
PREP: 20 min. BAKE: 1 hr., 40 min. COOL: 15 min. YIELD: 6 servings
1/3 cup pecan halves
6 (6-oz.) trout fillets (can substitute tilapia, catfish or turkey cutlets)
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
1/4 cup butter
- Process pecan halves in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Sprinkle trout fillets with garlic salt and lemon pepper seasoning.
- Dredge trout in finely chopped pecans.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add trout, and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until well browned and trout flakes with a fork. Serve with lemon wedges.
PREP: 15 min. COOK: 10 min. YIELD: 6 servings
Creamed Corn with Bacon
4 slices bacon
3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 10 ears)
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Garnish: fresh chopped thyme
- 1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove from pan and crumble. Reserve 2 Tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- 2. Add corn, and cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, cornstarch, sugar and salt, stirring until combined.
- 3. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Garnish, if desired.
PREP: 20 min. COOK: 25 min. COOL: 15 min. YIELD: 6 servings